On the Record (2015)
Name: Mark Gandy
Birthplace: Sale, Manchester
Musical past and present in one rambling run-on sentence: I first picked up a guitar in the late 70’s & have never put it down since, having started writing in my teens, I joined my first band whilst away at school (playing to a captive audience of teenagers most Saturday nights for 3 years), & moving onto ‘proper bands’ in the 80’s and 90’s, recording & performing all over the North West of England.. until the 00’s.. when we hiked up the writing and recording & I formed NorthernAdult with my good friend and musical genius Rick Welton..
- Who are some of your favorite musicians and bands from the past and present?
Love The Smiths, The Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Courteeners, Jonny Marr, Paul Weller, Jimi Hendrix, Iggy Pop, Tim Burgess, The Tribes, Funeral Party, Man Made, Howler, Tom Odell, Liam Frost, The Ruts, Killers, Beastie Boys, Springsteen, Teenage Fanclub, Radiohead, Oasis, High Flying Birds, Bowie, Bright Eyes, Kurt Vile, George Ezra, Ed Sheeran, Band of Horses, Matt Monroe, John Legend, Prodigy, Parma Violets, The Datsus, Curtis Mayfield and many more..
- Is there a particular song or musical passage that never fails to move you emotionally?
The Smith’s: “I won’t share you’’
- The First Album you ever bought?
Bowie’s ‘Aladin Sane’ from Woolworths in Altrincham. I remember Mum was not happy about some of the rude lyrics in ‘Time’, hence listening times were sometimes ‘assisted’. I had not at that point purchased Ian Dury’s, ‘New Boots & Panties’, which would later trip me up, in a similar fashion..
- How would you describe your perfect day?
Walking in the lakes with my family on a hot summers day – stopping off for a cold beer, lunch at the Masons Arms, and then crashing out around a fire-pit, with the music up, toasting marsh mellows…
- What would your friends say they appreciate the most about you
My sense of humour
- What is your most valued material possession?
My Gibson ‘Mid-town’ Guitar.
- Who were you, or would you be nervous to meet?
Jonny Marr (Guitar Hero of mine)
- Last great piece of live music you saw
James Bay in Manchester’s Deaf Institute as part of the Dot2Dot Festival.. awesome voice.. (2015)
- If you could blink your eyes and be in a favorite place right now, where would that place be?
On the balcony of the ‘Acantilado’ in Cala Galdana, Menorca, over-looking the beach, watching the sun sink into the sea..
- Is there something you would like to do more of in the future?
Travel more.. New York, San Francisco, Australia..
- Where would you like to find yourself in ten years?
Living a healthy, happy life with my family around me and just enough money to make it comfortable for all of us..!!